BS EN IEC 62402:2019 Obsolescence management
Helping organizations avoid the pain of obsolescence
What is BS EN IEC 62402:2019?
This is an International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) standard setting out requirements and guidance for obsolescence management.
It’s relevant to any business that depends on items supplied by someone else and that is vulnerable to those items becoming no longer serviceable, for whatever reason, in due course. It applies to any technology that will become obsolete in time, from big things like ships and engines to small things like mobile phones and tablets.
What does the standard do?
The standard supplies a cost-effective way for organizations to manage the processes and activities of obsolescence management throughout all the phases of an item’s life cycle. It covers:
- Establishing an obsolescence management policy
- Establishing infrastructure and organization
- Developing an Obsolescence Management Plan (OMP)
- Developing strategies to minimize obsolescence during design
- Determining an obsolescence management approach
- Selecting obsolescence resolution and implementation
- Measuring and improving the performance of the outcomes of obsolescence management activities
It also includes guidance on obsolescence management in the Informative Annexes and references in the Bibliography.
What’s new about the standard in 2019?
Whereas previously the standard took the form of a guide to obsolescence management, it’s now written as a requirements standard which is relevant to all technologies and items.