The development process for British Standards and other standardization products is governed by several key governance and policy documents. The governance documents set out the principles for the development of each type of standard and the principal features of the process by which they are developed. The governance documents and links to the policy documents are given below.
- BS 0:2021 - A standard for standards. Principles of standardization
- PAS 0:2022 - Principles of PAS standardization
- BSI Flex 0 v2.0:2022-08 - Principles of BSI Flex standardization
- Developing a PAS or a BSI Flex
- Our Royal Charter
- Memorandum of Understanding
Standard drafting rules
• Rules for the structure and drafting of UK standards
• Style guide for British Standards
• Style guide for PAS standards
• Style guide for BSI Flex standards
• Glossary of standardization terms supplementary to BS 0
International and European standardization documents
Guides for standards developers
There are a number of free guidance documents published by the international and European standards bodies to help standards developers take account of particular topics in their work, some of which are cited in BS 0.
The full range of free CEN Guides are available here.
Guidance on the development of British Standards of UK origin
Guidance on the development of PAS standards
Let's shape your organization's future together
Reach out and see how we can help guide you on your path to sustainable operational success.