The Office for Product Safety and Standards was created in January 2018 by the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy, to enhance protections for consumers and the environment and drive increased productivity, growth and business confidence.
The Office takes forward the work of the previous Regulatory Delivery directorate, including Primary Authority and the Regulators’ Code.
We are responsible for building national capacity for product safety and for the development of products that support small business growth and implement the Industrial Strategy vision of simplifying regulation.
We work at the front line with businesses, local and national regulators and consumers to improve regulatory protections and support compliant businesses.
- National Capacity for Product Safety and Technical Regulation
- Policy Development - Product Safety, Metrology and Regulatory Delivery
- Primary Authority
- Industrial Strategy commitments to local better regulation
- Technical regulation on behalf of government
- Approval of types of utility meters and provision for accuracy testing
- EU Exit preparation for technical regulation
- International regulatory delivery
- NMO Technical Services
- Standards and accreditation policy
- Business insights through our Business Reference Panel and others
- Sponsorship of British Hallmarking Council
The Office for Product Safety and Standards is part of the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy.