UKQI – UK Quality Infrastructure
Introducing the UK Quality Infrastructure and how it can benefit developing and transition economies
The UKQI comprises BSI (British Standards Institution), NMRO (National Measurement and Regulation Office), NPL (National Physical Laboratory) and UKAS (United Kingdom Accreditation Service).
These institutions oversee standardization, testing and measurement, certification, and accreditation in the UK as part of the UK's National Quality Infrastructure.
Elements of the UK's National Quality Infrastructure
Standardization – creates the national and international standards that specify how things should be made and done in a way that is mutually acceptable.
Testing and measurement – implementation of specifications and standards to ensure validity and consistency.
Certification – ensures that those who use standards and codes are applying them in the right way.
Accreditation – ensures that those who carry out testing, certification and inspection are competent to do so.
Services offered by UKQI
UKQI partners provide a comprehensive range of consultancy services to overseas governments wanting to build the capacity of their own National Quality Infrastructure. This includes:
Capacity building services
- Needs analysis in order to target the intervention in the most efficient and effective way
- Legislative review and advice on how the regulatory framework can be improved
- Consultancy and training:
- institutional governance
- growing the commercial independence of institutions
- improving or building a National Quality Infrastructure
- embedding the economic benefits of a National Quality Infrastructure
- Technical assistance covering standards, accreditation, metrology and quality assessment
- The full range of UKAS accreditations*
- Advanced accreditation services* such as of medical laboratories, diagnostic imaging services and other healthcare activities
- Training and development to help organizations reach ILAC and IAF signatory status
- Assistance with standards’ development
- Research to identify published or in-development standards in a specific area of interest
- Support with developing a standards and metrology strategy in an innovative area or emerging technology
- Standards’ implementation training
- Consultancy in defining, setting up and commissioning testing facilities
- Measurement training needs analysis
- Measurement skills training
- Training for legal/regulatory metrology personnel
- Type approval services to companies manufacturing measuring instruments
- Consultancy on which measurement equipment to buy
- Measurement facility design, build, implementation and commissioning
* Note that the provision of UKAS services will be subject to European Union Regulations and the principles of ILAC and IAF policy.