Why is health and safety important in construction?
It is vital to keep the health and safety of your workforce at the top of your agenda, and to keep vigilant standards in all areas. There are many health and safety risks that construction professionals need to manage, from dealing with asbestos, to the impact of multiple trades working together. Then there’s managing compliance, including certifications and local regulations.
Your health and safety management will impact all organizations you interact with, from those who visit construction sites, carry out operations during the design, build and maintain phases, to those who are responsible for decommissioning or recycling building or infrastructure projects.
Health and safety monitoring systems and policies in the workplace also need to be created and managed. Core elements to effectively managing for health and safety are:
- Leadership and management
- A trained/ skilled workforce
- Clear communications which use all avenues available, to make sure messages are shared
- An environment where people are trusted and involved
- Formal frameworks can enable companies to manage their health and safety requirements more effectively