The Pressure Equipment Directive (PED) applies to the design, manufacture and conformity assessment of pressure equipment and assemblies with a maximum allowable pressure greater than 0.5 bar gauge including vessels, piping, safety accessories and pressure accessories.
Not all pressure equipment is covered by this directive as The Transportable Pressure Equipment Directive and the Simple Pressure Vessels Directive both cover certain equipment and products which present a relatively low hazard from pressurization. These may be covered by other directives, e.g. Machinery Equipment Directive, ATEX Directive, Low Voltage Directive or the Electro Magnetic Compatibility Directive.
We offer technical advice to help you understand the regulations, testing and CE marking for the PED.
The New Pressure Equipment Directive
The PED is changing.
Who is the Directive for?
The purpose of the PED is to provide for a legal structure whereby pressure equipment can be manufactured and sold throughout the European Union without having to go through a local approval regime in every member state. The means by which this is achieved is to ensure common standards of safety in all pressure equipment sold within the European Economic Area. Manufacturers are therefore able to meet the requirements for approval in any member state of the EU, and do not have to repeat the process when selling goods in any other state.
What products do we provide Notified Body services for?
Typical examples of pressure equipment covered include:
- shell and water tube boilers
- heat exchangers
- pressure vessels
- process pipework
- electric heaters
- valves - isolation
- valves - control
- reliefe valves
- safety valves
- bursting discs
- buckling rods
- controlled safety pressure relief systems
- pressure switches
- temperature switches
- fluid level switches
Benefits of meeting the Directive
- We offer a complete compliance service on products including design appraisal, from fire extinguishers to major industrial installations.
- Our expert and dedicated PED team support customers through every step of the certification process.
- Our experience helps customers achieve PED compliance with minimal or no interruption to production, inspections/audits and consideration to keeping your costs down.