BS 7671:2018 Requirements for Electrical Installations will be issued on 2nd July 2018 and is intended to come into effect on 1st January 2019.
UK electrical installation standards will soon require wiring systems within buildings to be adequately supported against their premature collapse in the event of a fire. Previously just a requirement of escape routes, the updated regulations will improve the electrical safety of buildings across the UK.
This change forms part of an official update to BS 7671, the UK standard for electrical installations set by the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) and the British Standards Institution (BSI).
Changes within the BS 7671:2018 standard are set to include:
- Protection against electric shock
- Protection against thermal effects
- Protection against voltage disturbances and electromagnetic disturbances
- The installation of renewable energy storage systems,
- Recommendations for arc fault detection devices (AFDDs)