4 December 2009
BSI has published a new edition of BS EN ISO 9004, providing organizations with a framework for achieving long-term success. BS EN ISO 9004:2009 Managing for the sustained success of an organization – A quality management approach, can be used by any organization regardless of size, type and activity to sustain delivery of high-quality products and services for the benefit of all interested parties.
Organizations already using BS EN ISO 9001 will be familiar with ensuring quality management of products and services. The new version of BS EN ISO 9004 will provide the next step towards ongoing improvement, measured through the satisfaction of customers, owners, shareholders, suppliers and partners, staff and society. It gives guidance on the adoption of a systematic approach which can help ensure economic survival in the long term.
Rather than prescribing exactly how operations should be run, BS EN ISO 9004 provides a framework within which an organization can manage and enhance the quality of its products and services. Alongside this, the standard promotes ongoing self-assessment which enables organizations to:
- identify their strengths and weaknesses
- identify opportunities for improvement and innovation
- review and improve the maturity level of the organization, including leadership, strategy, management system, resources and processes.
Mike Low, Director, Standards, BSI, said: “Businesses are still operating in tough economic conditions. This standard can help by providing a well-tried approach to ensure the sustained delivery of quality, business efficiency and customer satisfaction. The revision of BS EN ISO 9004 provides a broader perspective on quality management for organizations already using standards in the ISO 9000 series as well as those just starting out. The self-assessment element of the standard ensures exploitation of strengths and opportunities and continual improvement and innovation.”
BS EN ISO 9004:2009 is the third edition of the standard first published in 1987 and replaces BS EN ISO 9004:2000. Changes have been made based on the experiences of organizations implementing the standard around the world. It is intended to be consistent with ISO 9001 and other management system standards. BS EN ISO 9004 can be used independently or can be used with BS EN ISO 9001.
Learn more about the BS EN ISO 9004 standard.
- ENDS -
Notes to editors
For media information:
Public Relations Officer, BSI
Tel: +44 (0)20 8996 7248
Mob: +44 (0)7717 451990
BSI is a global independent business services organization that inspires confidence and delivers assurance to over 80,000 customers with standards-based solutions. Originating as the world’s first national standards body, BSI has over 2,300 staff operating in over 120 countries through more than 50 global offices. BSI’s key offerings are:
- The development and sale of private, national and international standards and supporting information that promote and share best practice
- Second and third-party management systems assessment and certification in all critical areas of management disciplines
- Testing and certification of services and products for Kitemark and CE marking to UK, European and international standards. BSI is a Notified Body for 15 New Approach EU Directives
- Certification of high-risk, complex medical devices
- Performance management software solutions
- Training services in support of standards implementation and business best practice.
For further information please visit www.bsigroup.com