BSI announces the acquisition of Supply Chain Security Division (SCSD), a division of First Advantage. Customers of both BSI and SCSD will now benefit from a fully integrated supply chain security solution
13 May 2009
SCSD provides a customized supply chain security service which ensures integrity and helps mitigate risk. Its programmes take into account numerous factors including level of threat, type of cargo and transportation mode. SCSD’s key applications include:
- Supplier Compliance Manager® (SCM): a web-based supplier risk programme that assists users with mandatory compliance to the U.S. Customs Trade Partnership Against Terrorism (C-TPAT) and the European Union’s Authorized Economic Operator (AEO) programmes.
- Quantitative Risk Solutions Assessments (QRS): consultancy based risk assessment for corporations experiencing problems with global cargo theft.
BSI will harmonize SCSD applications with its own assessment services and enterprise software solutions to offer customers a unique proposition encompassing both supply chain security and compliance. Potential offerings include a one-stop-shop for all assessment services and an operational-level compliance management tool that can help to co-ordinate all risks, assessments and compliance.
The potential benefits to the customer of using combined BSI and SCSD products include:
- Improved supplier risk vetting and risk assessment
- Effective tracking and reporting of compliance with C-TPAT and AEO
- Execution of supply chain management in a challenging economic climate.
Howard Kerr, CEO of BSI Group, said of the SCSD acquisition: “Security against theft and terrorism in the international supply chain is absolutely essential for any company involved in the import of goods. Synergies between BSI and SCSD products and services will combine existing self-assessment with independent auditing, making the process of compliance with programmes such as C-TPAT a fluid one. Businesses applying these products to their operations can expect to improve the integrity of their security practices and by doing so, help to improve their overall profitability.”
BSI acquires C.I. in Italy
BSI announces the acquisition of the Italian arm of Certification International (C.I.) which currently provides certification in Italy to the international quality management standard, ISO 9001, and the international environmental management standard, ISO 14001.
Italy is a significant market for management system certification. According to the ISO Survey of Certifications 2007*, Italy has the second highest number of ISO 9001 certifications in the world and ranks fourth for ISO 14001 certifications. The country saw a 9% growth in the number of ISO 9001 certifications between 2006 and 2007 and a 23% growth in ISO 14001 certifications in the same period.
Howard Kerr, CEO of BSI Group, said of the C.I. acquisition: “This acquisition significantly extends BSI’s customer reach and delivery capability in Italy. It also demonstrates BSI’s continued investment to grow its market position in Europe.”
- ENDS -
Notes to Editors
*These figures are taken from the ISO Survey of Certifications 2007
BSI is a global independent business services organization that inspires confidence and delivers assurance to over 80,000 customers with standards-based solutions. Originating as the world’s first national standards body, BSI has over 2,400 staff operating in over 120 countries through more than 50 global offices. BSI’s key offerings are:
- The development and sale of private, national and international standards and supporting information that promote and share best practice
- Second and third-party management systems assessment and certification in all critical areas of management disciplines
- Product testing and certification of services and products including Kitemark®, one of the one of the world’s most recognized quality symbols
- Certification of high-risk, complex medical devices
- Performance management software solutions
- Training services in support of standards implementation and business best practice.
Find out more about BSI