There are some important differences to be aware of between the UKCA and the CE marking.
If the UK leaves the EU without a deal in most cases you will still be able to use the CE marking for products being placed on the UK market.
However, if your product requires the services of a notified body for third party assessment of conformity, and if this service has been carried out by a UK-based notified body, in the event of a “no deal” your CE marking will no longer be valid. This is because UK notified bodies will no longer be recognised by the EU.
You will need to choose the path which meets your organization’s needs and you will need to choose one of these two options;
- Continue to work with your UK-based notified body and apply for UKCA marking immediately. In this case your CE marking will no longer be valid and you will be unable to place your products on the market in any of the EU 27 member states. Once you have the UKCA you will be able to place your products on the market in the UK.
- Chose to work with a notified body registered in an EU 27 member state to gain the CE marking. This will be recognized in the EU and also in the UK for a limited time after Brexit.
BSI is an EU27 notified body based in the Netherlands for the following Regulations/Directives:
- Construction Products Regulation
- Personal Protective Equipment Regulation
- Gas Appliance Regulation
- Pressure Equipment Directive
This means we can work with you to achieve CE marking for these Directives / Regulations and provide support for UKCA marking when available.