‘All Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), which is made/to be made available in the UAE market.’
This is a notified body service which will result in the application of the ESMA Mark for PPE by a manufacturer or importer. BSI is one of a select number of notified bodies, our registered office is as below, but you will still be working with the PPE team in the UK day to day:
Shop 12, Ground floor,
Sultan Business Centre
PO Box 26444
Mobile: 050 6501490
Risk Classification for the ESMA PPE regulation classifies equipment in the same way as the European PPE Regulation (EI) 2016/425, which is the following three Categories:
- Category I – to protect users against minimal risks. This is a self-declaration category, with registration onto the ESMA database for export into the UAE, and supply the DOC for relevant standard to BSI and a Certificate will be issued.
- Category II –risks other than those listed in Categories I and III. There are two options open, manufacturers can follow the mandatory ECAS route, or they may choose to follow the optional route of EQM as means as placing goods onto the market.
- Category III - ‘exclusively the risks that may cause very serious consequences such as death or irreversible damage to health.’ The single route of compliance is the mandatory EQM route.
This is further broken down into product categories. BSI is notified by ESMA for the ECAS and EQM Modules for the following under the Notified Body identification number 0015:
- Body protective clothing
- Eye and face protection
- Fall management equipment
- Foot protection
- Hand protection
- Head protection
- Hearing protection
- Respiratory protection
This also aligns with our European PPE Regulation scope.
Routes to Compliance –
Emirates Conformity Assessment Scheme (ECAS)
- Certificate validity is for 1 year
- No factory assessment required
- There is a limit to the number of models that can be listed on one certificate
- Supporting test reports may not be more than 5 years old
Emirates Quality Mark (EQM)
- Certificate validity is for 3 years
- Factory assessment is required
- There is no limit to the number of models listed on a certificate
- If a product has not been changed, there is no limit to the age of a supporting test report
Whether you are a manufacturer, an importer or a distributor, our trusted team of experts can work with you to achieve your global market access needs and with Certification to ESMA access to the UAE markets.
BSI is ideally placed to support your market access needs. With offices worldwide, and as the UK National Standards Body, we work closely with many other notified agencies around the world to ensure our standards are recognized and accepted. Every year we work with thousands of organizations around the world to ensure they meet global access requirements.
We understand it can be difficult to keep up-to-date with regulatory frameworks, especially when they change. What’s more, what you need to do may vary from country to country. Our certification experts are here to work in partnership with you to access global markets.