What is the Directive?
BSI is a Notified Body for the recast Lift Directive 2014/33/EU and through our testing and certification you can be sure that your lift systems or components can deliver the best in safety and reliability.
The Directive is the legal requirements that have been written by the European Parliament. Each Member State is then required to adopt the Directive into their own National statute laws. Proof of compliance to the Directive is indicated by the manufacturer, authorised representative, importer, distributor, or economic operators of the safety component or the installer of the lift placing the CE marking on the product.
Who is the Directive for?
The recast Lift Directive 2014/33/EU covers both safety components and whole lifts and covers the manufacture and installation of the lifts. The directive therefore applies to manufacturer, authorised representative, importer, distributor, or economic operators as well as the installer who is placing the lift or safety component in the EU market.
What products are covered by the Directive?
The recast Lift Directive 2014/33/EU applies to lifts permanently serving buildings and constructions and intended for the transport of:
- persons and goods;
- goods alone if the carrier is accessible, that is to say a person may enter it without difficulty, and fitted with controls situated inside the carrier or within reach of a person inside the carrier.
This Directive shall also apply to the safety components for lifts listed in Annex III of the Directive, and listed below, for use in the lifts.
List of Safety Components for Lifts
- Devices for locking landing doors
- Devices to prevent falls referred to in point 3.2 of Annex I of the Directive to prevent the car from falling or uncontrolled movements
- Overspeed limitation devices
- (a) Energy-accumulating buffers:
(b) Energy-dissipating buffers
- non-linear, or
- with damping of the return movement
- Safety devices fitted to jacks of hydraulic power circuits where these are used as devices to prevent falls
- Electric safety devices in the form of safety circuits containing electronic components
A lift means a lifting appliance serving specific levels, having a carrier moving along guides which are rigid and inclined at an angle of more than 15 degrees to the horizontal, or a lifting appliance moving along a fixed course even where it does not move along rigid guides.
Benefits of meeting the recast Lift Directive 2014/33/EU
By meeting the requirements of the Directive you will be able to legally place products into the Europe market. This is one of the ways that BSI can help you to access global markets, be compliant and grow your business internationally.
Contact us today so we can assist you in ensuring your product meets the legal requirements before placing it on the market.