What is the project aim?
Monasterevin Distillery engaged BSI to help build trust, ensure quality and enable transparency in its Irish whiskey products. The collaborative project combines the expertise of our innovation team, BSI's food sector expertise and our blockchain partner Trace Labs.
What challenge is BSI helping Monasterevin to address?
Monasterevin is an exciting new venture that blends traditional Irish whiskey and modern-day technology to deliver a product that meets the increasing consumer expectation of sustainable products that don't compromise quality or taste.
Quality, sustainability and transparency are key Monasterevin values and will help to form the cornerstone of its brand positioning and customer promise. Today's consumers are increasingly cautious and sceptical about the sourcing of products and their underlying ingredients. Consumers are also concerned with environmental sustainability and the aims of initiatives such as the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
From their distillery, a repurposed old mill about an hour outside of Dublin, Ireland, Monasterevin intends to demonstrate its commitment to local sourcing and product quality at all stages of its production process and across its supply chain. The result will be a truly Irish product, of genuine Irish provenance. To achieve this, it will embed instruments of trust, encompassing certification, science and technology.
How will BSI help?
BSI and Trace Labs have developed an end-to-end customer trust solution for Monasterevin to provide transparency and confidence in its whiskey with customers globally.
The solution integrates certification, which includes both third-party assessment and product testing, with blockchain technology.
- BSI and Trace Labs have developed a customer-facing application providing full visibility on all details of the Monasterevin supply chain, including farming, distilling, maturation and bottling
- Information will be instantly available to consumers via a QR code on the bottle label that will demonstrate the product's unique provenance story
- All key data points are captured utilizing global data standards for supply chain visibility (GS1 EPCIS) and stored immutably on the OriginTrail Decentralized Network, underpinned by Ethereum public blockchain
- As Monasterevin crafts its sustainability-focused brand story, BSI will assess quality and food safety, as well as work with the distillery to develop a Kitemark programme that certifies its products to support its customer promise
- All claims substantiated using BSI Kitemark certification will be accessible and can be verified against the immutable ledger
What value will it add?
- Peace of mind: through increased customer transparency and traceability, using a decentralized network secured by blockchain, there is instant access to key product details providing reassurance and trust in the Monasterevin brand
- Tangible demonstration of Monasterevin's customer promise
- Providing a trusted data exchange, multiple organizations within the supply chain can confidently share data using their existing IT systems to increase visibility and resilience
- Effective protection against counterfeit products on the market