RSPO Supply Chain Certification Standard (SCCS)
The RSPO Supply Chain Certification Standard (RSPO SCCS) is a series of auditable requirements used by organizations in the palm oil supply chain to demonstrate systems for control of RSPO-certified palm oil products. This standard provides supply chain integrity back to the palm oil producers by preventing the overselling and mixing of palm oil with conventional (or non-sustainable) oil palm products.
To ensure the credibility of this sustainability claim, all organizations that take legal ownership and physically handle RSPO-certified sustainable oil palm products need RSPO supply chain certification. This includes oil palm mills and refineries, through to manufacture of ingredients, intermediate and end products. There is no need for certification after the end product manufacturer.
There are three RSPO approved supply chain models that may be applied to your business, with different requirements for each model. These models include:
- Identity assured that applies to RSPO certified oil palm product delivered to the end user is uniquely identifiable to a single RSPO certified mill and its certified supply base.
- Segregated that applies to RSPO certified oil palm products delivered to the end user only from RSPO certified sources.
- Mass balance that allows certified claims to be transferred from one oil palm product to another either through physical blending or administratively under strictly controlled circumstances. This is the most common supply model used.
Manufacturers with outsourced storage or transport arrangements will also need to include these operations and processes in their RSPO supply chain management system to ensure that the integrity of the supply chain is maintained for each step of each process through to the end product manufacturer.
Benefits of adoption
Certification to the RSPO Principles and Criteria (Palm Oil Plantations) or the RSPO Supply Chain Certification Standard (Processors, Ingredient Suppliers and Manufacturers) demonstrates your commitment that the standard of production is sustainable with the added benefits of:
- Recognition to a unique sustainability and supply chain integrity program, fulfilling the obligation for all actors in the palm oil production and use to have RSPO certification appropriate to their activities.
- RSPO members make up a large part of the world’s palm oil that is produced and sold in the global market.
- Environmentally and socially responsible buyers willing to pay a premium for responsibly produced products.
- Allowing organisations downstream of your operations to also seek RSPO Supply Chain Certification to pass on the sustainability claim.
- Credibility through the integrity of the RSPO sustainability claim, enabling consumers make informed product choices in an environmentally conscious market.
- Consistent application across raw material supply (plantations) and the supply chain with all actors in the RSPO supply chain held accountable to the same standard.
- Use of the RSPO Trademark as described in the RSPO Rules on Market Communications and Claims Document for business to business, and business to consumer communications.
The journey to certification
RSPO Supply Chain Certification Standard (SCCS)
RSPO Supply Chain certification is site specific so each site will require independent certification. Alternatively, if you have a minimum of two sites with a contractual link to a central office, administered by an internal control system, you will be eligible for multi-site certification which allows for an annual central office audit with sampling applied to annual site surveillance audits.
Certification requirements for micro users (using less than 1 tonne of RSPO certified palm oil per annum) and the supply chain group certification scheme are also detailed as voluntary options to this scheme.
Following a successful initial certification audit, certification to this scheme will remain current for 5 years, with an annual on-site surveillance audit completed to ensure ongoing compliance to the standard.
Whether you’re ready for the next step in sustainably sourced products or you’re more concerned about meeting the requirements of your customers, retailers or consumers, certifying to the RSPO Supply Chain Certification Standard can drive meaningful change in your organization. From an initial introduction to the standard through to training and certification, no matter how far along you are, BSI can support your journey.
BSI believes the world should be supplied with food that has been produced to an industry recognised standard. We offer a broad range of certifications and risk management services to help all organizations in the food supply chain achieve compliance and industry best practice to grow their business.
We’re a leading food safety and certification provider with extensive auditing capacity and the capability to conduct integrated audits for a wide range of food safety standards across the entire food and beverage supply chain – including GFSI-recognized standards.
Our service solution for food safety includes certification, training, assessment and supply chain software, providing you and your customer’s assurance and enabling you to manage risk more effectively.