30 June 2003
BSI Inspectorate Opens Laboratory in Constantza
BSI Inspectorate has opened a new agricultural commodities laboratory in the port of Constantza, Romania. The lab, opened this month, extends the range of services offered by BSI Inspectorate Romania, which was founded last year, to cover analysis as well as inspection, sampling and surveying.
Initially the lab will focus on quality determination of cereal cargoes for international and domestic markets, and will offer all the major parameters of analysis using state-of-the-art equipment and experienced personnel. In the future BSI will increase its capability to encompass oilseeds and the analysis of oil and petroleum.
Although as a new business unit, BSI Inspectorate Romania is still small in terms of headcount, it has managed to recruit experienced and dedicated staff capable of offering highly professional inspection services for most commodity lines and has already provided analysis for over 45,000 tons of cereal cargo from the 2002 crop.
BSI Inspectorate Romania General Manager Malcolm Carruthers said:
"The Port Authority reports that total traffic for Constanza in 2002 was 40.5 million tons. That is an increase of 20% on the previous year and illustrates the growing importance of Romania in the region. Competition is strong in the market, so our commitment to quality and customer satisfaction is absolute."
-- ENDS --
Notes for Editors
Constantza is a crossroads between the Black Sea and the Danube, is an important trans-shipment hub for the region and last year handled 4.7 million tons of grain and oilseeds. It is also a major conduit for oil and petroleum products, fertilizers, metals and minerals, timber and wood, and general cargo.
BSI Group believes in the universal adoption of best management practices, reduction of risk throughout the trading process and the harmonisation and acceptance of international standards by consent as a means of achieving economic prosperity and releasing the potential in all businesses to deliver excellence.
Founded in 1901 in the UK the BSI Group is now a global company made up of five complementary business units:
- British Standards, the UK's national standards body, is based in London, UK. It creates and updates national and international standards, reflecting the needs of stakeholders, including UK businesses and consumers.
- Business Information, a provider of information on standards and associated material.
- Management Systems, a provider of certification to management systems is based at BSI's headquarters in the UK. Following the 2002 purchase of the North American systems assessment business of KPMG, BSI Inc, based in Reston, Virginia, is the largest company providing management systems certification in North America. Management Systems also has regional headquarters in Hong Kong to service the network of offices in the Asian-Pacific region.
- Product Services, based in Hemel Hempstead, UK, provides product-testing and awards Kitemark conformity certification and CE marking. The Kitemark is a BSI registered trademark.
- Inspectorate, the leading independent inspection and analysis company, joined the BSI Group in 1998. Inspectorate has its main offices in Witham, UK; Houston, Texas and Singapore.
BSI Group is an international provider of services to businesses and other organisations. All our business units are working to the same vision of supporting business improvement and trade world-wide. Through provision of standards, technical information, systems assessment, product testing and commodity inspection services, BSI supplies vital third-party services that enable its customers to trade effectively and to improve their operations and products.
In 2002 the Group's turnover was £232.8 million (US$370 million).