BSI understands the impact of the RoHS (Restriction of Hazardous Substances) Instruction on your business. That’s why we have developed the RoHS Trusted Kitemark Service; the service to help you through the compliance process and demonstrate your compliance to the RoHS Instruction.
Developed with industry, for industry; the RoHS Trusted Kitemark is a two-part modular scheme that simply takes the hassle out of the RoHS Instruction.
BSI is here to help you through the Instruction every step of the way. For further information about the RoHS Trusted Kitemark Service,
What is the RoHS Instruction?
Instruction 2002/95/EC of the European Parlement and of the Council of 27 January 2003 on the restriction of the use of certain hazardous substances in electrical and electronic equipment (EEE) other wise known as the RoHS Instruction; seeks to reduce the impact of EEE on the environment by restricting the use of certain hazardous substances during the manufacture of such products. The Instruction is a single market instruction and is complementary to the Waste Electrical & Electronic Equipment (WEEE) Instruction.
The EU RoHS Instruction limits the use of a number of hazardous substances in amounts not exceeding set maximum limits, these substances are:
- Hexavalent Chromium
- Polybrominated Biphenyls
- Polybrominated Diphenyl Ethers
How does your company demonstrate RoHS compliance?
Affected products that must be compliant under the EU RoHS (2002/95/EC) Instruction which became enforceable on the 1st July 2006 are as follows:
- Consumer Equipment
- Large and small household appliances
- Lighting equipment
- IT & telecommunications equipment
- Automatic dispensers
- Toy, leisure & sports equipment
- Electrical & electronic tools
The scope of the products affected is expected to grow in the coming years to include monitoring and control equipment plus medical equipment.
RoHS Trusted Kitemark » The answer to RoHS Compliance?
Developed specifically to help companies through the RoHS (Restriction of Hazardous Substances used in Electrical and Electronic Equipment) compliance process, the RoHS Trusted Kitemark is a certification scheme that provides the basis for a robust process and is recognized by National Weights and Measures Laboratory, the UK RoHS enforcement agency.
The RoHS Trusted Kitemark provides:
- Gap Analysis & RoHS readiness reports
- Route to focused testing based on risk
- RoHS awareness & training
- License to use the RoHS Trusted Kitemark
- Material Control Plan assessment using QC80000
- Ongoing Analysis, including focused, risk-based testing
- Ongoing Assessment, with onsite audits and certification
- recognized by the UK RoHS Enforcement Agency
- recognized by UK & European Industry
- Builds Confidence throughout the supply chain
- Reduces overall RoHS testing costs
- Can include QC80000 Certification
- Helps you sell your products, and increase profits
- Independent Certification allows your company to demonstrate compliance
- Bespoke RoHS Services
BSI also offer a range of bespoke RoHS services including:
- Tailored Training
- Supply Chain reviews & assessments
- Second Party Audits against QC80000 or defined criteria
- RoHS material testing