To make sure that the standard is keeping pace with the changes in the energy sector, ISO 50001 is currently under review. It has reached the Final Draft International Standard (FDIS) stage. Publication of the official standard is expected on the 15th September.
The key changes and benefits of the revised standard are expected to include:
- A stronger emphasis on the responsibility of leadership
- Clarification of key concepts related to energy performance
- Improved compatibility with ISO 14001 and other ISO management system standards
- Improved sections on data collection and normalization
- The realignment of the content of the standard to the high level structure