31st October 2013
BSI has recently been alerted of a recent spate of telephone calls during which the caller states that he is calling from BSI. The caller attempts to obtain confidential and commercially sensitive information. The questions asked have included requests for information such as the number of employees on site and the name of the factory/warehouse manager.
The caller has been saying that due to new government legislation he needs your information. The caller’s number is always withheld, and when asked for a contact telephone number, a false one has been given. The calls have been abusive, rude and offensive.
THESE CALLS ARE NOT MADE BY BSI OR BY ANY REPRESENTATIVE OF BSI.
If someone phones you purporting to be from BSI, please always ask for a contact telephone number and phone the caller back. All genuine BSI callers will provide you with our customer services telephone numbers.
BSI is investigating these calls and will be taking action against the perpetrators. If you receive an abusive call, the number being withheld, and purporting to be made on behalf of BSI:
- if possible, record the call;
- request a call-back number, even if you know it will be false;
- notify us on the number or email below;
- notify your telephone service provider immediately and request sight of the withheld number;
- it may be that your telephone service provider will require you to lay a charge with the police and for the police to make such a request. If so, BSI urges you to lay such a charge. Please notify the police of BSI’s interest in the matter, and ask the police to contact us so that we may assist with their investigation. Please inform us of this.
Please contact us if you would like any further information or to report any issues relating to these calls.