IEMA Associate Certificate in Environmental Management
The Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment (IEMA) is a recognised specialist authority in the field of the environment. This popular 2-week certificate leads to associate membership of IEMA for successful candidates. The IEMA Certificate in Environmental Management is widely regarded as the leading qualification in its field.
This course ensures that people in positions of responsibility appreciate the environmental issues relating to their working processes and develop an understanding of how to manage them. It covers the management of environmental issues, water, air, land, environmental management systems and legal framework, international standards & best practice.
The Associate Certificate is designed to raise the professional competence of environmental practitioners by assessing their knowledge and understanding of environmental management and its application. The knowledge areas comprise of three modules, which define the level and scope of Associate Membership with accompanying demonstrable learning outcomes.
Who should attend?
- Those who have a responsibility for environmental issues and their management
- Those who have a specialist environmental role and require a working knowledge of environment management
No prior in-depth environmental knowledge required
What will I learn?
The main areas covered by the syllabus are:
- Introduction to environmental issues
- Environments at risk: air, water, land and resources
- Environmental aspects and impacts
- Environmental risk assessment
- Policies and management systems – EMAS, ISO 14001 including policy, planning, implementation, audits and review
- Environmental law and enforcement
- Government policies and guidance
- Energy conservation and waste minimisation
- Water pollution prevention and control
- Environmental auditing
- Integrated pollution prevention and control (IPPC)
- Waste management
What are the benefits?
At the conclusion of the programme the expected learning outcomes are that the student will be able to:
- Appreciate how global and local environmental issues evolve, and identify why and how they can be incorporated into the management of an organisation
- Understand in general terms the impacts of societal activities on the earth's natural systems
- Outline practical ways in which an organisation can reduce its impacts, both strategically and operationally
- Inter-relationships of environmental, economic, social and ethica aspects of sustainability
- Understand in general terms the structure of the regulatory process
- Determine the key environmental legislation, agreements and initiatives relating to an organisation and their relevance to operations
- Instigate management controls to ensure that operations do not pollute the environment and compliance is maintained
- Design and implement processes for the assessment, interpretation and management of environmental performance
What is included?
- Training course notes
- Certificate accredited by IEMA