BSI Kitemark Scheme for Furniture Removal Services
The European standards for furniture removal services, BS EN 12522 Part 1 and BS EN 12522 Part 2, published by BSI, allow potential customers to identify and compare the services offered by a removal company and benefit from the positive spin-off of fair competition in an open market.
The BSI Kitemark displayed by a removals company demonstrates their ongoing commitment to service quality, giving confidence to potential customers that furniture removal services will be carried out in a professional manner.
BSI Kitemark licensees are required to have a comprehensive control system in place to ensure service delivery consistently meets the required standard.
The BSI Kitemark scheme aims to protect the interests of customers against the provision of furniture removal services that may not be in compliance with industry standards.
The BSI Kitemark scheme will become increasingly recognised as defining the customer service standards to which removal companies should conform.
BS EN 12522-1 & 2 Furniture removal activities – Furniture removal for private individuals
Service specification and provision of services
The standards define requirements for:
- Initial contact and preliminary information
- The furniture removal service specification
- Contractual and statutory documents
- Provision of the furniture removal service
- Staff competences and training
- After sales service i.e. post-contract customer feedback
- Control of service quality
The requirements include the professionalism of personnel, suitability of transport material and packaging equipment, compensation procedures and formalities in the event of claims for loss or damage.
In addition, BSI carries out independent evaluation of the premises, processes and service delivery to establish that all requirements are met. The assessments include feedback from customers and the measures taken to resolve problems should they arise.
Periodic inspection visits to premises and mystery shopping techniques also ensure that service quality is being maintained on an on-going basis.
What can consumers expect?
The BSI Kitemark service pledge means that:
- Staff will be punctual, courteous and honest in their dealings with customers
- Detailed written quotations will be provided, with terms of payment
- Suitable packaging materials, equipment and vehicles will be used
- Assistance with compensation procedures in the event of claims for loss or damage.
Any supplier or service provider can claim conformity to a standard – it’s their responsibility to ensure any claim is not misleading.
Only the BSI Kitemark carries the independent assurance of BSI that the service meets the required standard.