Building Information Modelling (BIM)Assurance for the future
What is BIM? (Building Information Modelling)
Building Information Modelling (BIM) is the management of information through the whole life cycle of a built asset, from initial design all the way through to construction, maintaining and finally de-commissioning, through the use of digital Modelling. BIM is all about collaboration - between engineers, owners, architects and contractors in a three dimensional virtual construction environment (common data environment), and it shares information across these disciplines.
Building Information Modelling allows design and construction teams to communicate about design and coordinate information across different levels that has been unseen before. This information remains with the project, from before beginning construction, right throughout its lifetime. It also helps to analyze any potential impacts.
Since April 2016, the UK government has required construction suppliers tendering for centrally-procured government projects, including buildings and infrastructure, to be working at BIM Level 2. BSI is supporting the industry with a range of solutions to address the BIM level 2 requirements.
What are the benefits?
Through the use of Building Information Modelling and BIM certification, the following key benefits can be gained:
- Faster and efficient processes
- Increased productivity and speeds up delivery
- Reduced uncertainty
- Controlled whole-life costs and environmental data
- Avoidance of rework costs
- Improved safety
- Opportunity to secure Government contracts and meet BIM Level 2
- Reduced on-site waste
- Prevention of errors
BSI BIM Solutions
Whatever your stage in the adoption of BIM, you can achieve significant commercial, operational and financial benefits through BSI's BIM Solutions.
The range of BIM standards has been developed to help the construction industry adopt BIM Level 2. These include:
- ISO 19650-1:2018
- ISO 19650-2:2018
- ISO 19650-3:2020
- BS 1192-4:2014
- ISO 19650-5:2020
- BS 8536-1:2015
- BS 8536-2:2016
- Global BIM Manager Professional Training
- Global BIM Manager Professional Training (HKIS members only)
- Global BIM Coordinator Professional Training
- Other BIM training
- BSI Kitemark for BIM Design and Construction
- BSI Kitemark for BIM Asset Management
- BSI Kitemark for BIM Objects
- BSI Kitemark BIM asset lifecycle
We'd be delighted to advise you on your BIM journey, please call +852 3149 3300 to talk to a BIM advisor.