Building Information Modelling (BIM) Fundamentals Training Course
This course will provide you with an understanding of why ‘Collaborative BIM’ has been adopted as a UK Government requirement and how Building Information Modelling (BIM) supports Lean principles to reduce waste in construction and asset management. This course will provide an overview of the standards that define UK BIM Implementation and the fundamental processes of a Common Data Environment (CDE).
It will also help you understand ‘BIM according to ISO 19650’ – the new international standard (Part 1 and 2) and ‘UK BIM Implementation’ from the perspective of clients and customers. The role of information in managing assets and projects more efficiently and the tools defined for this.
In addition, you’ll understand ‘BIM according to BS EN ISO 19650’ and ‘UK BIM Implementation’ from the perspective of designers, constructors and supply chain. Responding to the client’s exchange information requirements (EIR). Tools used in the supply chain to manage and exchange information (CDE, COBie, IFC).
The course will help you to put UK BIM Implementation into the broader context of information security, roles and responsibilities. You’ll reflect on the impact delivery for your organization and what next steps need to be taken.
Who should attend?
Anyone adopting UK BIM Implementation into their organization, their own work practices, or helping their clients or supply chains to adopt it. Construction and asset management professionals (project managers, asset managers, designers, constructors, manufacturers, maintenance contractors, information managers).
What will I learn?
To understand the following:
- The basic principles of BIM
- Explain the terms ‘BIM according to ISO 19650’ and ‘UK BIM Implementation’
- Explain the value of information through all stages of a project and asset lifecycle
- Explain why BIM is a determining factor for delivering projects on time and without waste and inefficiencies
- Explain the terminology relating to BIM
- The definition of BIM and why it is important
- Demonstrate the ability to use the standards that support ‘UK BIM Implementation’
- Gain a general understanding of the ‘Information Delivery Cycle’ as outlined in ISO 19650-1
How will I benefit?
This course will help you:
- Understand the rationale behind UK BIM Implementation and to put this into the context of your own organization
- Understand the range of standards, tools and other documents that define and are used to implement UK BIM Implementation
- Understand how ‘BIM according to ISO 19650’ and ‘UK BIM Implementation’ helps asset owners manage asset information more effectively and helps project sponsors and project managers deliver better projects (commercially and technically)
- Understand how all types of suppliers (designers, constructors, specialists, asset contractors) respond to client requirements in UK BIM Implementation, and what technical tools exist to support this, including COBie and IFC
- See how ‘BIM according to ISO 19650’ and ‘UK BIM Implementation’ provides a framework for better information security
- Understand the roles and responsibilities associated with ‘BIM according to ISO 19650’ and ‘UK BIM Implementation’
- Understand what next steps you need to take to be able to manage assets or deliver projects following the UK BIM Implementation
The final session of the course gives you the chance to reflect on the topics covered and plan your forward actions to help put UK BIM Implementation into practice.
- Detailed training course notes
- On completion, you'll be awarded an internationally recognized BSI Training Academy certificate