Professional development in standards-making for young engineers
- Attend the 2017 IEC General Meeting all-expenses paid
- Become a standards-maker with BSI
The International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) is the world’s leading organization that prepares and publishes International Standards for all electrical, electronic and related technologies.
Every year the IECs’ standardization and conformity assessment work leads to a week-long meeting – the IEC General Meeting. At this event stakeholders come together in an international setting to debate current issues and decide on future directions and strategies for the IEC.
In autumn 2017 the IEC’s General Meeting will be held in Vladivostok, Russia and BSI, BEAMA, GAMBICA, AMDEA and IET[AS1] , in partnership with the IEC, is offering three young engineers the opportunity to attend this pivotal event all-expenses paid, as part of a Young Professionals Programme.
The Young Professionals Programme brings together the world's upcoming expert engineers, technicians and managers and provides them with opportunities to shape the future of international standardization and conformity assessment in the field of electrotechnology.
The IEC General Meeting and the Young Professionals Programme are important events. Electrotechnical businesses and industry view International Standards as a high priority for enabling a common understanding across multiple regions to facilitate international trade and innovation.
Benefits of being part of the IEC’s Young Professionals Programme
- A chance to represent the UK at an important international event and enhance your professional reputation.
- Get your voice heard in the international arena and help shape the future of global standardization and conformity assessment.
- Help cultivate a long-term environment for the involvement of young people from all over the world in international standardization.
- Ensure the future basis for technology transfer, trade, new product development and economic prosperity.
- Develop a greater awareness of the IEC’s work and maximise the benefits from being involved in international standardization.
But that’s not all.
Become a standards-maker with BSI
As well a chance to attend and participate in the 2017 IEC General Meeting in Vladivostok all-expenses paid, BSI is offering the opportunity for you to participate in its standards development and standards education work during 2017/18.
Working alongside BSI colleagues you’ll be able to:
- Participate in UK standards committees of your choice.
- Attend BSI sector conferences and events free of charge for 12 months and receive invitations to special BSI policy events.
- Contribute to BSI’s education programme to raise awareness of standards and standardization and support its teaching and learning in universities and through professional bodies and trade associations.
- Take part in BSI’s annual Standards Forum and Awards event.
Who should apply?
This professional development opportunity is open to all engineers under 35 as of 30 June 2017.
We welcome applications from ambitious engineering professionals who are currently making, or wishing to make, a difference in their industry, and with an interest in the standards they encounter in their professional practice.
The IEC has joined the International Gender Champions Programme and so BSI encourages applications from female engineers.
The names of the successful applicants will be announced in June 2017.