BSI Fluescan - Shared Flue Inspection Service
A full inspection and assessment service for shared flue systems
BSI Fluescan provides piece of mind for the owners and landlords of apartment blocks, and their managing agents.
If you own or manage properties made up of multiple dwellings, the chances are you’ll be legally responsible for the maintenance and safety of shared flue systems.
Typically found in high-rise buildings, but also installed in some low-rise properties, these systems avoid the need for outside flues and chimneys for every single apartment or flat in a residential block. They provide combustion air to gas appliances such as boilers, water heaters and gas fires, and allow the products of combustion – for example, the toxic gas, carbon monoxide – to be taken away safely.
Failure to maintain a shared flue system properly can led to unsafe gas appliances, which could, in the worst cases, lead to death.
BSI Fluescan: first for safety, first for service, first choice
The legal requirements for shared flues
To fulfil obligations under The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations, landlords and the owners of buildings of those acting for them – for example, managing agents and property management companies – must ensure all shared flue systems are maintained in a safe condition, and inspected every 12 months.
Meeting these legal requirements depends on trusted third parties with the specialist skills and knowledge to carry out inspections.
Our Fluescan Shared Flue Inspection Service is the obvious choice for anyone looking for shared flue inspection service:
- We are currently the only organization approved for shared-flue system inspection by UKAS, the government-recognised body that ‘inspects the inspectors’
- We have detailed understanding of the legal requirements, having helped draft The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations, and guidelines issued by the Institution of Gas Engineers and Managers (IGEM)
- Fluescan uses sophisticated video cameras and specialist endoscope equipment to ‘scan’ and access all parts of all shared flue-systems, including SE-duct, U-duct and shunt-duct systems
- We provide full safety audits, monitoring duct velocity and carrying out combustion checks
It’s not just a technical service; it’s an advisory service, too. Our inspectors work closely with clients to find solutions that work for them. This ‘bespoke’ element differentiates us from other providers of shared-flue inspection services.
Combining technical expertise, specialist knowledge and tailored service, BSI Fluescan can make a difference to your business.
The business benefits
- Ensures safe operation of shared systems
- Minimizes legal and compliance risks
- Improves safety and efficiency
- Helps find the most effective solutions to problems
BSI Fluescan: first for safety, first for service, first for choice
Fluescan typically consists of six key steps:
- Our team discusses your requirements with you
- You complete an application form
- Dates are agreed for inspection
- Inspections take place
- We provide inspection scans, a video recording, and bespoke reports
- We explain the results of tests and discuss the findings of the reports with you