Changes to your BIM standards - ISO 19650 Update
Later this year we expect to see the first two international standards published for Building Information Modelling (BIM). This includes BS EN ISO 19650-1: Concepts and principles and BS EN ISO 19650-2: Delivery phase of assets. These two standards will supersede BS 1192 (principles) and PAS 1192 part 2 (capital/delivery phase) respectively.
There will also be a UK Annex published, which was recently released for consultation and is still out for comment until 29th August.
What does this mean?
The ISO 19650 standard is an internationalization of the UK’s BIM Level 2 with the same principles. It’s therefore anticipated that it’ll very closely align with the current PAS 1192-2 standards. This means that on release of ISO 19650, organizations will need to start transitioning over from their current PAS 1192-2 certification to the new ISO . We will also be publishing transition guidance to help with this process.
Ahead of this to support you, we have put together a brief summary document to outline the key differences between PAS1192-2 and the draft ISO 19650 and recently published UK Annex consultation document.
You can also see a set of FAQs recently published on the BIM level 2 portal.
ISO 19650 documents
It’s anticipated that the following documents will be published concurrently around the end of 2018:
- BS EN ISO 19650-1: Organization of information about construction works — Information management using building information modelling: Concepts and principles
- BS EN ISO 19650-2: Organization of information about construction works — Information management using building information modelling: Delivery phase of the assets
- UK National Annex to ISO 19650 [to aid implementation in the UK and ensure BIM Level 2 within the ISO framework]
- UK Transition Guidance
How BSI will support you
We are well experienced with helping organizations transition to new standards having recently helped numerous organizations transition from OHSAS:18001 to ISO 45001. Here is how we will support you through this journey:
- Read our overview of the ISO 19650 DIS (Draft International Standard), which summarizes the key differences. Available here
- Undertake a gap analysis with us against the draft, this will help you prepare for the ISO
- On publication, we will provide a collection of supporting documents, including a mapping document to help you understand the changes
- We will be hosting webinars with our BIM experts where you will have the chance to ask your questions and we will brief you on what’s changed and how to transition
- Book your transition assessment – although the launch date is yet to be released, if you’d be interested in being among the first to meet the new ISO, please express your interest with us via BIMpilots@bsigroup.com
If you have any further questions regarding the upcoming ISO 19650, please get in touch on +44 345 0765 606 and we'll be more than happy to help