29 June 2009
BSI has published a Publicly Available Specification (PAS) which will provide a reference point for audiovisual (AV) and electrical installers to ensure that the quality of installations is raised to a sustainable level.
PAS 122 Specification for the installation of audiovisual equipment in classrooms and general publicly accessible areas is for use by AV installation companies in the UK who provide installations which include a component such as a computer, projector, interactive whiteboard, plasma screens of loud speakers. PAS 122 is intended to give improved assurance to customers and end user of AV installation services such as schools and other private and public sector organizations.
PAS 122 has been developed by BSI and Becta to meet the need for a framework that will help ensure increased safety and management of risks, whilst demonstrating due diligence in these areas. Until now there has been no strict guidance relating to how the installations are carried out and processes have varied greatly. It is believed that this contributes to the risk, as in a few isolated cases, of installations being carried out without adhering to the appropriate processes.
PAS 122 specifies requirements in the areas of health and safety, such as checking for asbestos, and in the pre-install, install and post-install of AV equipment. In the post-install for example, PAS 122 specifies that a full visual inspection of the installation should take place, complete with audit trail and official sign-off. The document references a number of British Standards which are indispensable for the application of PAS 122.
PAS 122 has been developed with contributions from a number of organizations including Extron, HSE (Health and Safety), Infocomm, Intenect Ltd, Sky and Unicol.
- ENDS -
Notes to Editors
For media information:
Public Relations Officer, BSI
Tel: +44 (0)20 8996 7248
Mob: +44 (0)7717 451990
BSI is a global independent business services organization that inspires confidence and delivers assurance to over 80,000 customers with standards-based solutions. Originating as the world’s first national standards body, BSI has over 2,400 staff operating in over 120 countries through more than 50 global offices. BSI’s key offerings are:
- The development and sale of private, national and international standards and supporting information that promote and share best practice
- Second and third-party management systems assessment and certification in all critical areas of management disciplines
- Testing and certification of services and products for Kitemark and CE marking to UK, European and International standards. BSI is a Notified Body for 17 New Approach EU Directives
- Certification of high-risk, complex medical devices
- Performance management software solutions
- Training services in support of standards implementation and business best practice.
For further information please visit www.bsigroup.com