Press release - 29 September 2008
BSI British Standards has been highly commended at the prestigious International Visual Communications Association (IVCA) Clarion Awards in the category for Live Events, for the launch of BS 8901:2007 Specification for a sustainable event management system with guidance for use. BS 8901 is the world’s first standard for planning and managing a more sustainable event.
Mike Low, Director of BSI British Standards, said, “Sustainability is a huge growth area in the world of standards and the enthusiasm with which the events industry greeted BS 8901 should be an example for other sectors. I’m absolutely delighted that BSI has been highly commended for this launch event. It shows that as well as providing the standard to guide others, BSI actually delivers sustainable events.”
In November 2007 BSI launched BS 8901 to the events industry at The Brewery in London. The aim of the event was to communicate the benefits of the standard to the people responsible for putting on events of all types and sizes. Case studies were presented by some of the organizations that trialled the standard and David Stubbs, Head of Environment and Sustainable Development for the London 2012 Organising Committee of the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games, gave the keynote speech.
The BS 8901 launch event was itself run in line with the standard. Some of the key improvements to the sustainability of the event included:
• measuring the event’s carbon footprint and arranging for trees to be planted in London to off-set the carbon
• donating flowers from the event to a local primary school for replanting
• using local suppliers for food, beverages and flowers to reduce mileage
• communicating with speakers and delegates was done through email.
Launched in 2003, the IVCA Clarion Awards are not-for-profit and recognize best practice in communicating the importance of CSR, sustainable development, social inclusion and ethical debate. They make a valuable contribution to business and society by identifying the role of communicators in encouraging an ethical culture.
Marco Forgione, IVCA Chief Executive, said, "I congratulate BSI British Standards in being highly commended at this year’s IVCA Clarion awards. The quality of entries this year was incredible. In highly commending this project the judges have recognized the high calibre of skills, creativity and innovation used in addressing their client's needs and championing ethical, responsible and environmental communications."
For further information on the IVCA Clarion Awards please visit www.ivca.org
About BSI Group
BSI British Standards is part of BSI Group, a global independent business services organization that inspires confidence and delivers assurance to customers with standards-based solutions. Originating as the world’s first national standards body, the Group has over 2,300 staff operating in over 120 countries through more than 50 global offices. The Group’s key offerings are:
- The development and sale of private, national and international standards and supporting information
- Second and third-party management systems assessment and certification
- Product testing and certification of services and products
- Performance management software solutions
- Training services in support of standards implementation and business best practice.
For further information please visit www.bsigroup.com.