Press release - 5 June 2008
BSI British Standards last night rewarded the achievements of four organizations in its second ISO 14001 Awards.
The winners in the four categories are:
- Large Organization: Land Securities Group
- Small or Medium Enterprise: Park Lane Press Ltd
- Public Sector Organization: CORMAC
- Overall prize for Innovation: Office Depot
The awards, this year presented at the Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment (IEMA) annual conference, are open to any UK organization certified to ISO 14001, the world’s only international environmental management system standard.
ISO 14001 is an internationally accepted standard that sets out the method for implementing an effective Environmental Management System, enabling an organization to reduce its environmental impact while maintaining profitability or other key objectives. At a time when businesses are looking to provide environmentally sound products and services, this standard offers answers.
BSI British Standards, with the support of the Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment (IEMA), is recognising organizations that have explored the full potential of ISO 14001. Winning, or simply entering, one of these award categories enables an organization to demonstrate its commitment to good environmental practice.
Phil Sudwell, Managing Director of Park Lane Press, commented, “We place great importance on continually improving our environmental performance. It is the first year we have entered any environmental awards to gain recognition for our achievements and we hope the BSI award will be the first of many”.
Mike Low, Director of BSI, who presented the awards, said, “BSI British Standards is delighted to recognize the achievements of the four winners of the ISO 14001 Awards. They have demonstrated the environmental impact of implementing ISO 14001 and also the marked improvements that ISO 14001 has made to their operations. We were pleased to receive so many entries in the competition this year. It is a great opportunity for organizations to demonstrate their environmental credentials and achieve recognition for the work they have put into implementing the standard.”
Martin Baxter, IEMA’s Deputy Chief Executive, said, “Using ISO 14001 gives organisations the opportunity to make environmental performance improvements that they otherwise wouldn’t achieve. These awards help to distinguish the best environmental performers.”
The awards were judged by an independent panel of environmental experts, led by Ossie Dodds MBE, head of the UK delegation to the ISO body responsible for the 14000 series of standards.
For more information on ISO 14001 please visit www.bsigroup.com/ISO14001
About BSI Group
BSI British Standards is part of BSI Group, a global independent business services organization that inspires confidence and delivers assurance to customers with standards-based solutions. Originating as the world’s first national standards body, the Group has over 2,250 staff operating in over 100 countries through more than 50 global offices. The Group’s key offerings are:
- The development and sale of private, national and international standards and supporting information
- Second and third-party management systems assessment and certification
- Product testing and certification of services and products
- Performance management software solutions
- Training services in support of standards implementation and business best practice.
For further information please visit www.bsigroup.com
About Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment (IEMA)
- The Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment (IEMA) is a non-for-profit membership organisation established to promote best practice standards in environmental management, auditing and assessment.
- The Institute offers ongoing support to environmental professionals and aims to promote sustainability through improved environmental practice and performance.
- With just over 12,000 individual and corporate members, the IEMA is now a leading international membership-based organization, dedicated to the promotion of sustainable development and to the professional development of individuals involved in the environmental occupation across many industrial sectors.
- For more information on the IEMA, its events, services, products, membership, training and publications, please visit www.iema.net.
- For Press and Public Relations information regarding the IEMA, please contact Katrina Pierce on 01522 540069 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.