27 November 2007
BSI British Standards invites applications to its second ISO 14001 Awards, which recognize the achievements of organizations certified to the world’s only international environmental management system standard.
ISO 14001 is an internationally accepted standard that sets out the method for implementing an effective Environmental Management System which enables an organization to reduce its environmental impact while maintaining profitability or other key objectives. At a time when businesses are looking to provide environmentally sound products and services, this standard offers answers.
BSI British Standards, with the support of the Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment (IEMA), is recognising organizations that have explored the full potential of ISO 14001. The awards are split into four categories: SME, Large Organization, Public Sector Organization, and an award, based on the applications for these three categories, for the most innovative use of ISO 14001. Winning, or simply entering, one of these award categories enables an organization to demonstrate its commitment to good environmental practice.
In 2006, Aggregate Industries won the award for Most Innovative Organization. Dr Ben Vivian, Aggregate Industries’ Corporate and Social Responsibility Advisor, says, “Aggregate Industries takes its environmental responsibilities very seriously, continually monitoring and improving performance in all areas of the business. We introduced ISO 14001 to help rationalise these processes and make our business more accountable. All of our wholly-owned sites are now certified to, or working towards, ISO 14001. Winning the BSI award in 2006 was a fantastic recognition of the work that Aggregate has put into integrating ISO 14001.”
Mike Low, Director of BSI British Standards, said, “BSI welcomes nominations from all sectors for the ISO 14001 Awards. Organizations will be able to demonstrate how ISO 14001 has improved their business performance as well as improving environmental impact. The awards are a great opportunity for organizations to set themselves apart from competitors and achieve recognition for the work they have put into implementing the standard.”
Martin Baxter, IEMA’s Deputy Chief Executive, said, “Using ISO 14001 gives organisations the opportunity to make environmental performance improvements that they otherwise wouldn’t achieve. These awards help to distinguish the best environmental performers.”
The awards are judged by an independent panel of environmental experts, chaired by Ossie Dodds, head of the UK delegation to the ISO body responsible for the 14000 series of standards. Mr Dodds and Martin Baxter will formally open the ISO 14001 Awards at an IEMA conference in November. Winners will be announced in June 2008.
For more information on ISO 14001 please visit
About BSI Group
BSI British Standards is part of BSI Group, a global independent business services organization that inspires confidence and delivers assurance to customers with standards-based solutions. Originating as the world’s first national standards body, the Group has over 2,250 staff operating in over 100 countries through more than 50 global offices. The Group’s key offerings are:
• The development and sale of private, national and international standards and supporting information
• Second and third-party management systems assessment and certification
• Product testing and certification of services and products
• Performance management software solutions
• Training services in support of standards implementation and business best practice.
About Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment (IEMA)
1. The Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment (IEMA) is a non-for-profit membership organisation established to promote best practice standards in environmental management, auditing and assessment.
2. The Institute offers ongoing support to environmental professionals and aims to promote sustainability through improved environmental practice and performance.
3. With just over 12,000 individual and corporate members, the IEMA is now a leading international membership-based organization, dedicated to the promotion of sustainable development and to the professional development of individuals involved in the environmental occupation across many industrial sectors.
4. For more information on the IEMA, its events, services, products, membership, training and publications, please visit www.iema.net.
5. For Press and Public Relations information regarding the IEMA, please contact Katrina Pierce on 01522 540069 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.