Major IT equipment safety standard revised
BSI has just published a new revision to a major IT equipment safety standard.
BS EN 60950-1:2006 Information technology equipment. Safety. General requirements applies to mains-powered or battery-powered information technology equipment, including electrical business equipment and associated equipment, with a rated voltage not exceeding 600 V.
It applies to information technology equipment:
- Designed for use as telecommunication terminal equipment and telecommunication network infrastructure equipment, regardless of the source of power
- Designed and intended to be connected directly to, or used as infrastructure equipment in, a cable distribution system, regardless of the source of power
- Designed to use the AC mains supply as a communication transmission medium.
In addition, this standard applies to components and subassemblies intended for incorporation in information technology equipment.
BS EN 60950-1:2006 specifies requirements intended to reduce risks of fire, electric shock or injury for the operator and layman who may come into contact with the equipment and, where specifically stated, for a service person. It is intended to reduce such risks with respect to installed equipment, whether it consists of a system of interconnected units or independent units, subject to installing, operating and maintaining the equipment in the manner prescribed by the manufacturer.
Contents of BS EN 60950-1:2006 include:
- principles of safety
- scope & definitions
- general requirements
- protection from hazards
- wiring, connections and supply
- physical requirements
- electrical requirements and simulated abnormal conditions
- connection to telecommunication networks
- connection to cable distribution systems
The changes made in this revision include:
- requirements added for audio amplifiers
- requirements for batteries enhanced
- voltage texts for cable distribution systems clarified
- alternative procedure for motor test added
- requirements for insulation having starting pulses added
- tests clarified for limited power sources
- tests clarified for mechanical strength
- rules clarified for single-pole isolators
ISBN 0 580 48469 6
Member Price £111
BS EN 60950-1:2006 replaces BS EN 60950-1:2002.
For orders, please contact:
BSI Customer Services quoting marketing reference code 60950-1-PR
Tel +44 (0)20 8996 9001
Fax +44 (0)20 8996 7001
BS EN 60950-21:2003 Information technology equipment. Safety. Remote power feeding
This part of BS EN 60950 applies to information technology equipment intended to supply and receive operating power via a telecommunication network, where the voltage exceeds the limits for TNV circuits. This part of BS EN 60950 is intended to be used with part 1.
ISBN 0 580 42840 0
Member Price £34
BS EN 60950-23:2006 Information technology equipment. Safety. Large data storage equipment
This part of BS EN 60950 specifies requirements for information technology equipment (ITE) with self contained data storage systems that contain hazardous moving parts. These data storage systems are typically large enough to permit a person to enter completely; however, the systems also include similar large equipment permitting complete limb or head access to the area containing hazardous moving parts.
ISBN 0 580 48421 1
Member Price £28
BS EN 60950-22:2006 Information technology equipment. Safety. Equipment installed outdoors
This part of BS EN 60950 applies to information technology equipment intended to be installed in an outdoor location. The requirements for outdoor equipment also apply, where relevant, to empty outdoor enclosures supplied for housing information technology equipment to be installed in an outdoor location.
All BSI publications featured in this release are available for review. To make your request, please contact:
Tel +44 (0)20 8996 7641
Fax +44 (0)20 8996 7553
For general media enquiries please contact the British Standards press office:
Tel +44 (0)20 8996 7248