BSI Group Announces Annual Results with New Board Appointment
24 April 2003
BSI Group today announced the appointment of W Wayne Booker, formerly vice-chairman of Ford Motor Company's Global Operations, to the BSI Board. Mr. Booker joins BSI on 1 May 2003 as a non-executive director, providing a wealth of international experience in the industrial arena and particularly in the automotive sector.
Mr. Booker's appointment follows a series of announcements as BSI has strengthened its global coverage with:
- the acquisition of KPMG Quality Registrars' North American ISO management systems certification business, doubling its size and making BSI Management Systems Inc the market leader in ISO registrations in North America. BSI is now a market leader in:
- quality management systems (ISO 9000)
- environmental management systems (ISO 14000)
- quality management for the automotive sector (QS 9000)
- a leading position in oil and petrochemical inspection services with 25% of the North American market
- new BSI Inspectorate laboratories in Brazil, Bahamas, Panama, the Middle East and Singapore
- the opening of new management systems offices in Seoul, Osaka, Dubai and Hong Kong
BSI Group Financial highlights
Strong results have been delivered against a backdrop of reduction in international trade post 11 September 2001.
Commenting on the results, Chairman Sir David John KCMG said:
"2002 was a year of growth and expansion for the BSI Group with further investment in North America, Central America, Asia, the Middle East, Russia and Ukraine, which has ensured that the Group's international expansion continued apace, in spite of the overall reduction in global trading."
Commenting on W Wayne Booker's appointment, BSI Group Chairman Sir David John KCMG said:
"W Wayne Booker brings unrivalled experience of the American market, which is key to our global growth plans, particularly the automotive sector. The Group's global standing has never been higher and W Wayne Booker's unique expertise will be central to our continued growth."
W Wayne Booker added:
"I have long believed in the need for improving the competitiveness of individual businesses and promoting international trade through the provision of world-class management and trade support services. BSI Group acts to benefit trade and optimise business efficiency, its business divisions are world leaders and I welcome the opportunities my joining the Board will present."
ENDSNotes to editors
- Biography of W Wayne Booker
- Biography of Sir David John KCMG
- Information on BSI Group
BIOGRAPHY W WAYNE BOOKER
W Wayne Booker will join the BSI Board on 1 May 2003. From November 1996 to January 2002, he was Vice-Chairman of Ford Motor Company with responsibility for the Company's presence in international markets and for the Company's associations with many global business partners. Mr Booker enjoyed a 43 year career with Ford, during which time he served on the boards of several international councils. Presently, he serves as the Lead Director of the AGCO Corporation, an international manufacturer of agricultural equipment located in Duluth, Georgia. He is also a member of the Board of Directors of Koc Holding A.S. located in Istanbul, Turkey. Age 68.
BIOGRAPHY SIR DAVID JOHN KCMG
Sir David John was elected Chairman in July 2002 after joining the BSI Board in May 2002 as a non-executive director. He is currently chairman of Premier Oil plc, and will become Chairman of Balfour Beatty plc in May 2003. He is also a non-executive director of The St Pauls Company Inc., USA. Sir David is the immediate past chairman of the BOC group. Age 64.
BSI GROUP INFORMATION
BSI Group believes in the universal adoption of best management practices, reduction of risk throughout the trading process and the harmonisation and acceptance of international standards by consent as a means of achieving economic prosperity and releasing the potential in all businesses to deliver excellence.
Founded in 1901 in the UK the BSI Group is now a global company made up of five complementary business units:
- British Standards, the UK's national standards body, is based in London, UK. It creates and updates national and international standards, reflecting the needs of stakeholders, including UK businesses and consumers.
- Business Information, a provider of information on standards and associated material.
- Management Systems, a provider of certification to management systems is based at BSI's headquarters in the UK. Following the 2002 purchase of the North American systems assessment business of KPMG, BSI Inc, based in Reston, Virginia, is the largest company providing management systems certification in North America. Management Systems also has regional headquarters in Hong Kong to service the network of offices in the Asian-Pacific region.
- Product Services, based in Hemel Hempstead, UK, provides product-testing and awards Kitemark registration and CE marking. The Kitemark is a BSI registered trademark.
- Inspectorate, the leading independent inspection and analysis company, joined the BSI Group in 1998. Inspectorate has its main offices in Witham, UK; Houston, Texas and Singapore.
BSI Group is an international provider of services to businesses and other organisations. All our business units are working to the same vision of supporting business improvement and trade worldwide. Through provision of standards, technical information, systems assessment, product testing and commodity inspection services, BSI supplies vital third-party services that enable its customers to trade effectively and to improve their operations and products.
In 2001 the Group's turnover was £229.2 million ($360 million).
Sir David John KCMG, group chairman BSI Group, was appointed in July 2002.