Responding to industry needs the Emergency Lighting Kitemark scheme completes the Kitemark electrical safety portfolio of products that includes Fire Alarm Installation and Electrical Contractors. As an existing Kitemark licensee in either or both of these schemes we felt sure that you would be interested in adding Emergency Lighting to your certification.
Shops, offices, and other premises previously excluded from legislation require the installation of additional emergency lighting to satisfy the Emergency Lighting and the New Fire Safety legislation – the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005. Not only must premises contain emergency lighting and escape route signage, the equipment installed must be the correct type, installed in the correct location and satisfy the requirements of BS 5266.
The new Kitemark scheme complements the Kitemark for Fire Alarm Systems Installations and the Kitemark Electrical Installations. The Emergency Lighting Kitemark scheme is built in a modular format covering Design, Installation, Inspection & Testing and Maintenance.
What is Emergency Lighting?
In its simplest and most common form of it is “escape lighting’, that aims to ensure adequate lighting to escape routes from buildings so that people may get out easily and safely even if there is a power loss. These systems are most commonly linked to Fire Detection and Alarm Systems and as such are mentioned in the Regulatory Reform Order.
What is the Emergency Lighting Kitemark Scheme?
The BSI Kitemark scheme, inspects the quality and safety of work carried out by businesses engaged in the design and/or installation and/or inspection, test, certification, and/or maintenance of emergency lighting systems, according to the various British Standards BS 5266 parts 1,7,8,and 10 and other relevant requirements. If you are certified by BSI as competent to so this work then you are authorized to use the internationally famous Kitemark logo in promoting, marketing, and describing your services.
BS EN 60598-1: 2004
Luminaires. General requirements and tests
BS EN 60598-2-22: 1999
Luminaires. Particular requirements. Luminaires for emergency lighting
BS EN 61347-2-7: 2006
Lamp control gear. Particular requirements for d.c. supplied electronic ballasts for emergency lighting.
BS EN 61347-2-13: 2006
Lamp control gear. Particular requirements for d.c. or a.c. supplied electronic control gear for LED modules
BS EN 50171: 2001
Central power supply systems
Why should I join the BSI Kitemark Scheme?
- Compliance: This show that you are fully compliant with the relevant parts of
- You will be an officially licensed Kitemark Emergency Lighting Installer. This means that once you have your license you can use the highly respected Kitemark symbol to promote your business.
- Customer Confidence: Happy, confident customers will bring unrivaled benefits to your business. Purchasing professionals whether private or public sector want to know that they are spending their money wisely and with 73%* of the UK population stating they are happier to recommend Kitemark companies and 93%* of them believing that Kitemark products are safer you can more easily retain existing customers and attract new ones.
- Powerful marketing tool: Enhancing your reputation and company profile can be a costly exercise. But by being a Kitemark licensee and using the Kitemark symbol in your promotional activities you can gain all the benefits of this prestigious symbol. 88% of the UK adult population believe the Kitemark shows a reputable company*
- Competitive Advantage: In tough business environments, companies need to be able to make their products and services stand out from the competition. As 75% of UK adults state that the presence of the Kitemark helps them to choose between products – Kitemark gives you this advantage.
- Increase profitability: Through applying Kitemark practices you can reduce cost and waste which will help you realize a more healthy profit in your business. A Kitemark scheme offers a blue--print for better, more efficient business performance and less errors.
- Increased business: Purchasing professionals in private and public sector organizations often prefer or even specify Kitemark products and services as it ensures that they deliver the safest, most reliable and consistent projects. Kitemark gives you access to their tenders and projects.
What else will the scheme give me?
- License to use the Kitemark in marketing and promotional activities both print and online as well as other company documentation such as letterheads and invoicing and in signage for your company.
- Kitemark is a Business Superbrand in its own right and you have the license to use it. A Business Superbrand means that the Kitemark is seen by business leaders as having established the finest reputation in its field, and offers customers emotional and/or tangible advantages over competitors which customers want, recognize and are confident about investing in. Business Superbrands must represent quality, reliability, and distinction.
- A Kitemark Marketing Tool Kit including a CD containing all relevant logos, hints and tips for using the logo, press release template, printer ready artwork for a Kitemark poster, sales flyers for your customers.
- Monthly Kitemark Newsletter updating you on how the Kitemark is being promoted and success of Kitemark licensees as well as other regular updates on Kitemark and your Kitemark scheme.
- Company listings in the Kitemark.com search function of Kitemark services and products
How much does it cost?
The cost of the Kitemark scheme depends on the number of assessment days required by your business. In most cases this can be achieved in two days for Initial Assessment and thereafter only one day providing you can supply site visits near your offices, and that you are not in a very remote location. Normally, two examples of work (site visits) are required at assessment. There will be two inspections every year for the first two years, dropping to one inspection every year thereafter.
Prices based on one Qualified Supervisor per company. Costs will vary where there is more than one Qualified Supervisor.