BMS/Asia/CR/004; Issue 1
Complaints & Appeals Handling Process, Asia;
Issue 1 (Aug/2009)
Complaint & Appeals Handling Process
The purpose of this procedure is to establish guidelines for dealing with appeals, complaints and disputes within Asia Region.
BSI Entity & Unit compliance managers, as applicable.
1) BSI units shall have a documented process to handle customer complaints & appeals.
2) BSI units receiving appeals/complaints shall ensure that the persons engaged in the appeals/complaints-handling process are different from those who carried out the audits and made the certification decisions.
Submission, investigation and decision on appeals/complaints shall not result in any discriminatory actions against the appellant.
3) The appeals/complaints-handling process shall include at least the following elements and methods:
- an outline of the process for receiving, validating and investigating the appeal/complaint, and for deciding what actions are to be taken in response to it, taking into account the results of previous similar appeal/complaint;
- tracking and recording appeals, including actions undertaken to resolve them;
- ensuring that any appropriate correction and corrective action are taken.
4) BSI Unit shall acknowledge receipt of the appeal/complaint and shall provide the appellant/complainant with progress reports and the outcome when sought.
5) The decision to be communicated to the appellant/complainant shall be made by, or reviewed and
approved by, individual(s) not previously involved in the subject of the appeal/complaint.
6) BSI Unit shall give formal notice to the appellant/complainant of the end of the appeals/complainthandling process.
7) Any complaints that are either escalated or received directly at BSI Asia entity level shall be
resolved in a manner similar to the one addressed above by the entity Compliance manager.
1. Appeal/complaint related records