Impact protection is designed to protect the wearer from the effects of being hit by a falling or thrown object, or to protect them in the event of a fall or contact with the ground or some other hard object. We can provide testing and certification for a range of impact protection products to help you gain compliance, and to help you to access new markets. And if you’re looking to demonstrate safety and performance, differentiate your products, and give your products trusted recognition, we can offer BSI Kitemark certification too.
Helmets and head protection
Head protection covers a wide range of products. This ranges from a helmet for use by a pedal cyclist, to a sophisticated helmet with integrated respiratory and communications equipment used by the military. To be sold in Europe protective helmets require CE Marking, which is covered by the PPE Directive. Most helmets fall into the 'intermediate' category, but there are certain exceptions to this where products may be classed as complex PPE.
Our experts can help you to determine what needs to be done to ensure your products meet the relevant regulatory requirements for market access, and we can help with BSI Kitemark certification.
Our head protection testing and certification covers the following products:
- Industrial safety helmets
- Industrial bump caps
- Riot helmets for police use
- Marine safety helmets
- Helmets for pedal cyclists and for users of skateboards and roller skates
- Head protectors for cricketers
- Head protection for rugby
- Helmets for equestrian activities
- Helmets for airborne sports
- Helmets for alpine skiers and snowboarders
Impact Protection for the body
The BSI Impact Protection Laboratory tests a wide range of protective products for the body, whether work or sport/leisure related.
Our impact protection for the body testing and certification covers the following products:
- Knee and elbow pads (motorcycling)
- Knee and elbow pads (sport)
- Gaiters and protective footwear
- Rugby clothing (such as headgear, shoulder padding)
- Cricket boxes
- Football shin pads