Responding to industry needs the Emergency Lighting BSI Kitemark scheme completes the BSI Kitemark electrical safety portfolio of products that includes Fire Alarm Installation and Electrical Contractors. As an existing BSI Kitemark licensee in either or both of these schemes we felt sure that you would be interested in adding Emergency Lighting to your certification.
Shops, offices and other premises previously excluded from legislation require the installation of additional emergency lighting to satisfy the Emergency Lighting and the New Fire Safety legislation – the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005. Not only must premises contain emergency lighting and escape route signage, the equipment installed must be the correct type, installed in the correct location and satisfy the requirements of BS 5266.
The new BSI Kitemark scheme complements the BSI Kitemark for Fire Alarm Systems Installations and the BSI Kitemark Electrical Installations. The Emergency Lighting BSI Kitemark scheme is built in a modular format covering Design, Installation, Inspection & Testing and Maintenance.
What is Emergency Lighting?
In its simplest and most common form of it is “escape lighting’, that aims to ensure adequate lighting to escape routes from buildings so that people may get out easily and safely even if there is a power loss. These systems are most commonly linked to Fire Detection and Alarm Systems and as such are mentioned in the Regulatory Reform Order.
What is the Emergency Lighting BSI Kitemark™ Scheme?
The BSI Kitemark scheme, inspects the quality and safety of work carried out by businesses engaged in the design and/or installation and/or inspection, test, certification, and/or maintenance of emergency lighting systems, according to the various British Standards BS 5266 parts 1, 7, and 8 and other relevant requirements. If you are certified by BSI as competent to so this work then you are authorised to use the internationally famous BSI Kitemark logo in promoting, marketing and describing your services.
Why should I join the BSI Kitemark™ Scheme?
- Compliance: This show that you are fully compliant with the relevant parts of BS 5266
- You will be an officially licensed BSI Kitemark Emergency Lighting Installer. This means that once you have your licence you can use the highly respected BSI Kitemark symbol to promote your business.
- Customer Confidence: Happy, confident customers will bring unrivalled benefits to your business. Purchasing professionals whether private or public sector want to know that they are spending their money wisely and with 73%* of the UK population stating they are happier to recommend BSI Kitemark companies and 93%* of them believing that BSI Kitemark products are safer you can more easily retain existing customers and attract new ones.
- Powerful marketing tool: Enhancing your reputation and company profile can be a costly exercise. But by being a BSI Kitemark licensee and using the BSI Kitemark symbol in your promotional activities you can gain all the benefits of this prestigious symbol. 88% of the UK adult population believe the BSI Kitemark shows a reputable company*
- Competitive Advantage: In tough business environments, companies need to be able to make their products and services stand out from the competition. As 75% of UK adults state that the presence of the BSI Kitemark helps them to choose between products – BSI Kitemark gives you this advantage.
- Increase profitability: Through applying BSI Kitemark practices you can reduce cost and waste which will help you realise a more healthy profit in your business. A BSI Kitemark scheme offers a blue--print for better, more efficient business performance and less errors.
- Increased business: Purchasing professionals in private and public sector organisations often prefer or even specify BSI Kitemark products and services as it ensures that they deliver the safest, most reliable and consistent projects. BSI Kitemark gives you access to their tenders and projects.
What else will the scheme give me?
- Licence to use the BSI Kitemark in marketing and promotional activities both print and online as well as other company documentation such as letterheads and invoicing and in signage for your company.
- BSI Kitemark is a Business Superbrand in its own right and you have the license to use it. A Business Superbrand means that the BSI Kitemark is seen by business leaders as having established the finest reputation in its field, and offers customers emotional and/or tangible advantages over competitors which customers want, recognise and are confident about investing in. Business Superbrands must represent quality, reliability and distinction.
- A BSI Kitemark Marketing Tool Kit including a CD containing all relevant logos, hints and tips for using the logo, press release template, printer ready artwork for a BSI Kitemark poster, sales flyers for your customers.
- Monthly BSI Kitemark Newsletter updating you on how the BSI Kitemark is being promoted and success of BSI Kitemark licensees as well as other regular updates on BSI Kitemark and your BSI Kitemark scheme.
- Company listings in the BSI Kitemark.com search function of BSI Kitemark services and products
How much does it cost?
The cost of the BSI Kitemark scheme depends on the number of assessment days required by your business. In most cases this can be achieved in two days for Initial Assessment and thereafter only one day providing you can supply site visits near your offices, and that you are not in a very remote location. Normally, two examples of work (site visits) are required at assessment. There will be two inspections per annum for the first two years, dropping to one per annum thereafter.
Prices based on one Qualified Supervisor per company. Costs will vary where there is more than one Qualified Supervisor.