Press release - 6 February 2008
Seven leading companies will make up the third wave of partners to trial PAS 2050, the draft embodied greenhouse gases standard, currently being developed by the Carbon Trust and Defra in partnership with BSI British Standards.
The new partners are:
- British Sugar plc - Granulated White Sugar
- Colors – South African fruit supplied to UK retailers
- Continental Clothing Company Ltd – EarthPositiveTM apparel
- Coors Brewers Ltd – Carling Lager
- Danone Waters UK Limited – Evian and Volvic Mineral Water
- Mey Selections – Mey Selections Luxury All Butter Shortbread, Mey Selections Heather Honey and Mey Selections Blossom Honey
- Morphy Richards – Covering a total of 12 Comfigrip, Turbo Steam and Precise Steam irons
Included in this new wave of partners will be two SME pilots and three business-to-business pilots as well as a range that will further test the scalability of the PAS 2050. The information from the trials will be fed into the development of the standard to ensure that it is both scientifically rigorous and applicable for businesses across a wide range of industry sectors.
The Carbon Trust and Defra are working with BSI British Standards to develop PAS 2050 (publicly available specification) which is based on a method for measuring the embodied greenhouse gas emissions from products and services across their lifecycle that will be applicable to a wide range of sectors and product categories. The development of the standard is being overseen by an independent Steering Group chaired by Jim Skea,
Director of the UK Energy Research Centre, with members from businesses, NGOs, government and academia.
About BSI Group
BSI British Standards is part of BSI Group, a global independent business services organization that inspires confidence and delivers assurance to customers with standards-based solutions. Originating as the world’s first national standards body, the Group has over 2,250 staff operating in over 100 countries through more than 50 global offices. The Group’s key offerings are:
- The development and sale of private, national and international standards and supporting information
- Second and third-party management systems assessment and certification
- Product testing and certification of services and products
- Performance management software solutions
- Training services in support of standards implementation and business best practice.
For further information please visit www.bsigroup.com